The Prize Project of Marugame Castle’s
Yagura and Hanshu Goten Reconstruction
The purpose of the project
Now in Marugame Castle, Tenshu wooden castle tower built in the beginning of the Edo Period, Otemon the entrance gate, and Genkansaki Gomon the front gate of feudal lord’s residence still remain. Originally Sumiyagura※1 and Watariyagura※2 were built on the stone walls. And Hanshu Goten※3 was in the northwest part of the castle, around Marugame Reference Museum. However, these Yagura and Hanshu Goten were burnt down or demolished.
In order to restore Marugame Castle in the Kyogoku Period, Marugame City is planning the prize project of Sumiyagura, Watariyagura and Hanshu Goten reconstruction. The prize money a total of 10,000,000 yen will be offered for credible old photographs for the reconstruction.
- ※1 Sumiyagura (corner tower): Two-story buildings standing on corners of stone walls
- ※2 Watariyagura (roofed passage): Long one story buildings standing on stone walls for connecting yagura towers.
- ※3 Hanshu Goten (feudal lord’s residence): The feudal lord’s palace built in the south of Genkansaki Gomon (front gate of feudal lord’s residence).
April 1st 2017 to March 31st 2020 (Three years)
When restorable photographs found even in the middle of the application period, this project will be closed.
Prize Object: Old photographs which can be credible material for the reconstruction
- Old photographs of Sumiyagura and Watariyagura which were burnt down or demolished in the beginning of the Meiji Period (before around 1876).
- Old photographs of Hanshu Goten which was burnt down in 1869 (The photograph of Hanshu Goten before it was burnt down).
Recipient of Prize Money
Provider of restorable photographs stated above
Establishment of Examining Committee
An examining committee organized by specialists will be established and appraise the photographs to inquire into its authenticity.
- Photographs which can be credible materials for the perfect reconstruction of Sumiyagura, Watariyagura or Hanshu Goten〈Total amount of the prize: ￥10,000,000〉
- Photographs which can be credible materials for the partial reconstruction of any part of Yagura, Watariyagura or Hanshu Goten〈The prize money will be discussed and decided by the committee.〉
- No prize money will be given for photographs which are not able to be used as materials for the reconstruction.
Payment of Prize Money
The prize money will be paid when the reconstruction images of Yagura and Hanshu Goten created based on the provided materials are recognized by The Agency for Cultural Affairs. When the data from a number of providers became the basis of reconstruction images, the prize money will be distributed depending on the value of the provided materials (photographs).
Contact details for inquiries
Marugame Reference Museum
SUMIYAGURA(corner tower) and WATARIYAGURA(roofed passage)
Wooden Model of Marugame Castle（Yellow colored parts are SUMIYAGURA and WATARIYAGURA. Marugame City is looking for their old photographs.）
Floor Plan of Marugame Castle（Orange colored parts are SUMIYAGURA and WATARIYAGURA. Marugame City is looking for their old photographs.）
HANSHU GOTEN (feudal lord’s residence)
A part of Marugame Castle floor plan（The part surrounded by yellow line is HANSHU GOTEN. Marugame City is looking for its old photographs.）